Re: [Amps] Mobile high power

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Mobile high power
From: PA3DUV <pa3duv@planet.nl>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:43:35 +0200
Joe, others,

Even a high power amplifier used in SSB service will consume a limited
amount of energy due to the low duty cycle of SSB transmissions.
Operating from a mobile cannot be compared to for example contest
circumstances.

My experience with the Henry SS750 in the mobile is that the standard
alternator (100 amp) in the vehicle has no problem keeping up with the power
consumption of that amp. In my perception in the design of an effective
mobile high power system the main issue for the power supply is to funish
the current surges needed for SSB service. With one or 2 gell batteries  at
the amps terminals that can be solved. So at the end of the day I feel a
hybrid could easily deal with the intermitted use of a high power SSB
amplifier. I'm not so sure about the noise generated by the high power
switchers in the hybrid.

Now the advantage of an induction machine like the Aura Gen is the
availability of 240 V AC @ 20 amps and more.
That permits the use of tube amplifiers instead of low voltage devices.

According to Aura Systems documentation they've delivered plenty of these
units to the US military. (5 kW units)
It's amazing that they can shoehorn an induction machine capable of 240 VAC
@ 20 amps or 30 amps into a OD 309 mm x lenth 163 mm unit.
Another amazing feature is the fact that this power is available at idle
with a very wide powerband.
The way they convert the fluctuating ACfrom the induction machine  into a
stable sine wave is something special. On first sight it looks an ordinary
inverter but it actually isn't

Too bad the space near the crankshaft pulley of my 2005 Toyota van with
perpendicular mounted engine block in not sufficient to accomodate this nice
piece of equipment. Perhaps it's gettin time that we in Europe should
convert to full size gas guzzlers like you guys in the US;-)

Cheers, Dick
PA3DUV