Re: [Amps] Tokyo HP

To: dezrat1242@ispwest.com, jkearman@att.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tokyo HP
From: PlanerGuy@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 17:00:08 EST
I am going to throw in my 2 cents on this. CB operators adhere to no standards
what so ever.  Give your "typical" CB'er a kilowatt, and he'll try driving it
to 4kilowatts
with over modulation and unlimited splatter. Moreover, the rest of the good
buddys
on the band will tell him how great he sounds(distorted garble is good!), and
want
his help in doing the same thing. There is no such thing as a harmless 1kw amp
in the hands of a CB'er.
This is not the case on the amateur bands where even small innocuous sounds
of any sort will soon be commented on.  My old Icom 25A 2 meter unit had
an after market tone board, so I could hit the repeaters with it.  This
imparted
a nearly inaudible "buzz" which few could even hear.  Wouldn't you know it,
people
still felt obligated to point it out to me, and then standby and wait for me
to correct this "problem".
As licensed radio operators, hams as a rule are self policing. The ham
community,
by in large, is self policing.  A blatently wide and distorted signal, rich
in harmonics
and splatter will nearly always bring condemnation.  I have sat in on several
"official"
discussions pertaining to amplifier use on the amateur bands.  The mood of
the
discussion generally tended to be that if the power output was within limits,
and  was
clean per FCC standards, then that was the end of the matter. No, I will not
discuss
what official means.
Mind you, the letter of the law remains just that.  No question about it.
Still licensed
amateurs may get the benefit of the doubt on interpretation of that law, much
the same as
a traffic cop will normally not give you a hard time about doing 2 miles an
hour over
the speed limit,yet endangering no one, when you're rushing your youngster to
the hospital.
On the other hand, if you have 5 people drinking beer in your car, driving
the wrong
way on a one way street at 3AM Saturday,etc., well, I'll bet thats another
matter.
Both acts are illegal, period, BUT.....

So, each of you have made your points.   Now maybe we can move on?