Re: [Amps] RE : who needs it? Henry 8K

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] RE : who needs it? Henry 8K
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 11:24:40 -0400
Dick,

I'm glad you ran the poll. I wish you had of added the higher power just for
grins too. I'm all for folks having an amp, and have been guilty of running
over the legal limit a good bit myself. I was also guilty for building amps
that went into the "gray area". I never did point fingers at others and
complain though, when I knew I was doing the same myself.

I can tell you this, I know of some operators way down south that made the
move. They actually bought homes way out in the country. These were miles away
from the nearest town and neighbor. They made the move to do one thing, run
bucket loads of power. The move was so they didn't rip up every TV for miles
around, come over every phone, and lord help not bother anything in a hospital.
We had the hospital thing happen here until the FCC shut the guy down. However,
he ran that way for several years with his beam aimed right at St. Marys
hospital just across the river. It took several complaints to get the FCC here
to do something about it I was told be a few that work there. Anyhow, those
guys down south are running a good amount of power and getting by with it I
believe because there's no complaints. They could be tracked by the FCC, but
it's been over 10+ years for some running and not a threat has been seen. Same
as those keydowns. They're advertized right here on the net. These last for a
few days with folks staying at local hotels and have a sell set up with tables,
etc out in the open. There's several 11 meter amp builders that advertize
freely on the net which have shopping carts, and their addresses. Those have
been up for several years also. Since the FCC is not going to bother these
guys, I highly doubt they're going to do very much with the amateur radio folks
running over the limit. As long as there's no complaints, they'll keep doing
it. I think when the truth is known, it's just as bad in one community as it is
in another.

Best,

Will