Re: [Amps] RE : who needs it? Henry 8K

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] RE : who needs it? Henry 8K
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 21:35:49 -0600
So now you have started a list of stations that claim to not
exceed the legal limit.  Continue to add to the list.  At
the same time why not start another list of stations that
claim to exceed the legal limit.  It will be interesting to
see the call signs on the later list.  It is easy to claim
to be within the rules because one will not likely be
criticized, but claim to operate outside the rules...look
out.

Doug/VA5DX

Keith, John, and the rest of the amps list,

My experience in an aggregate total of over 30 years of
contesting is the
same as yours. Just as in other endeavours, there's no sense
of
accomplishment in winning by breaking the rules. All of the
big M/M stations
I'm aware of (KC1XX, K1RX, K1TTT, W1KM, VY2ZM, W3LPL, K3LR,
etc.) run
strictly legal. The big M/S and M/2 stations (including
mine) are the same.
While I do have a "tube with handles" in my shack, it serves
only as a
"motivational object" to have the operators "think loud and
you'll be loud".

When Eliot, W1MJ, did CW Sweepstakes from my station, we
went in and set the
radio he used to run the maximum for QRP. If you look at his
photos in the
soapbox in QST, he put in a photo of me at the operating
position he used.
You can see the "tube with handles" in the background but we
were strictly
QRP for that contest. The photo I took of him shows the tube
also. I've
never even lit up the filaments.

Before the beginning of any contest, I tune up all the amps
and set the
power at LEGAL power levels. All the other stations I know
of in the
Northeast do the same.

When we win, we do it by the rules and not by strapping
other stations with
illegal power.

It's the stack that makes us loud, not the amp.

73, Jerry K0TV

Date: 5/22/2006