Re: [Amps] RE : who needs it? Henry 8K

To: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RE : who needs it? Henry 8K
From: "Jerry Muller" <k0tv@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 17:05:12 -0400
Keith, John, and the rest of the amps list,

My experience in an aggregate total of over 30 years of contesting is the
same as yours. Just as in other endeavours, there's no sense of
accomplishment in winning by breaking the rules. All of the big M/M stations
I'm aware of (KC1XX, K1RX, K1TTT, W1KM, VY2ZM, W3LPL, K3LR, etc.) run
strictly legal. The big M/S and M/2 stations (including mine) are the same.
While I do have a "tube with handles" in my shack, it serves only as a
"motivational object" to have the operators "think loud and you'll be loud".

When Eliot, W1MJ, did CW Sweepstakes from my station, we went in and set the
radio he used to run the maximum for QRP. If you look at his photos in the
soapbox in QST, he put in a photo of me at the operating position he used.
You can see the "tube with handles" in the background but we were strictly
QRP for that contest. The photo I took of him shows the tube also. I've
never even lit up the filaments.

Before the beginning of any contest, I tune up all the amps and set the
power at LEGAL power levels. All the other stations I know of in the
Northeast do the same.

When we win, we do it by the rules and not by strapping other stations with
illegal power.

It's the stack that makes us loud, not the amp.

73, Jerry K0TV