Re: [Amps] 4CX10 000J

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX10 000J
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 07:52:38 -0700
Tom W8JI wrote:

>  Most of
> the broadband noise in my FT1000D comes from a single FET
> that is used to control ALC.  That FET is after the SSB
> filters, so the full bandwidth of that noise makes it to the
> antenna.

This is apparently a problem with most or all modern transceivers.  On
our annual field day my club operates a CW and an SSB station.  We use
switched bandpass filters on both rigs and do our best to site antennas
to reduce coupling. When both stations are on the same band, closing the
PTT in the SSB station causes a loud hiss at the CW station.
Interference from the SSB operator's actual speech is quite weak or
nonexistent compared to the wideband hiss.  This year I heard this from
at least three different radios from all the major Japanese manufacturers.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco