[Amps] L4-B Power Supply

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] L4-B Power Supply
From: "Tom Sessions" <radio_k4rv@peoplepc.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 15:09:02 -0000
After a lighnting hit I found 2 damaged filter capacitors in my L-4B power
supply.  I decided to replace all of them. While shopping the web and
catalogs for replacements, I quickly discovered that exact value
replacements would be considerably physically smaller than the originals,
and that modern capacitors of larger capacitance and/or higher voltage
ratings than the originals could easily be fitted into the power supply.

What, then is my best option.
(1) I could choose capacitors with larger capacity.
(2) I could choose capacitors with higher voltage ratings.
(3) Both (1) and (2) together
(4) I could choose capacitors of the original ratings and possibly use the
extra space for something else.

Most of the capacitor choices I found were of the type using snap in
terminals.  Into what do these terminals snap?  Can I just mount the
capacitors and then solder leads to their snap in terminals, or is there a
snap in receptacle of some sort available?

Thanks
Tom K4RV