Re: [Amps] 4CX10 000J

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX10 000J
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 21:26:58 -0700
On Jul 2, 2006, at 7:44 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> What are the differences between the 4CX1000J and 4CX10000D -
> particularly to explain the 10 KW vs. 15 KW output difference

Joe -- For linear operation, the D has an emission ability of c. 13A-
pk, and the J's has c. 18A-pk.  The J is almost an 8281 /
4CX15,000A.  The D's filament requires 7.5V @ 75A and the J's
requires 7.5V at 104A.  There is no such thing as a free lunch.  My
guess is that due to it's greater peak emission, a J can do 18 out
PEP in SSB service.

> in the "normal operation" figures on the Eimac short form
> catalog (www.cpii.com/eimac)?  Of course, with a listed gain
> of 4.5, it would seem to take 2500 W or so to drive either of
> them to their full capability ...

4.5x is the screen amplification factor.   In MF/HF operation, using
a 1:9 trifilar input xfmr and a grid termination R of 450-ohms,
either the D or the J can amplify 100x .

end

> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734