Re: [Amps] More information for "What NOT to buy"..

To: <chris@yipyap.com>, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] More information for "What NOT to buy"..
From: "Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <lists@w1nr.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 08:41:45 -0400
I wouldn't buy them from that internet place unless they were from someone
that guaranteed them and has tested them.  Most of them are sold as-is with
comments like "they worked when they got pulled" or "I was told they
work"...

www.elexs.com lists them for about $200+ for NOS and $85-$120+ for used.  He
guarantees them and tests them all and can give you the performance curves
as well.

Still, for $160 each, 3-500ZG's from RF parts really can't be beat...

Check on the classifieds at www.qth.com.  Good tubes show up there all the
time.  A single 4-1000A (a tube which I use in two amps) will run you
$200-$300 and can take all kinds of abuse.  I had one broadcast pull go over
20 years of heavy use including RTTY contesting before it gave up (in the
middle of a contest).  Running the tube at 4000V with 100W out will give you
legal limit and won't get too bad on component ratings.  Contrary to many of
the comments I have heard here, I get legal limit with 4000V (full load
voltage) and 100W drive.  I wouldn't recommend higher voltages because the
increase in component ratings and risk of generating X-rays outweighs the
benefits.  There are a ton of articles in the various (older) Ham
publications using this tube and the glow of the plate going almost white
hot during key down RTTY is a sight to see!

Mike, W1NR