Re: [Amps] Class A for AM

To: "'KA5MIR'" <ars.ka5mir@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Class A for AM
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 17:53:39 -0600
Hi Jeff,
No that's not really the case. The plate current peaks have to go just as
high in class A as they do in class B. The difference is that on the
negative swing of grid drive the class A amplifier is always conducting
where in the class B amp it does not conduct. That lowers the conduction
time of the class B amp and improves its efficiency.

On efficiency change % it depends on the starting point from which you look
at it from. With the class B amp if you start at full power as the reference
then the AM carrier efficiency would be down 50% from there. If you start at
the carrier as a reference point then I guess you could say that the peak
efficiency doubles or goes up by 100%. Most texts use full power out as the
reference point and talk about how many % down things are from there.

Kind of like the merchant marking prices up or marking them down. If you
mark $1.00 down by 50% you get 50 cents. If you mark 50 cents up by 50% you
get $1.00. To mark the 50 cents up you do not add to it but divide it by
50%. But if you just add 50% to 50 cents you then only get 75 cents. One is
called "mark up" and the other is called "add on".
All in how you work the numbers.

73
Gary  K4FMX