Re: [Amps] Shipping Alpha 91b from US to Eu

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shipping Alpha 91b from US to Eu
From: "David G4FTC" <g4ftc@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 15:39:16 +0000

>Hi Guys,
>
>would you kindly help me with combined experience on both sides of the
>pond, to get my Alpha 91b from US to Slovenia.
>Here is my case:
>===================================
>Have bought Alpha amp ALPHA 91B on e-bay.
>The amp is now at my brother in Wheeling Illinois ZIP 60090.
>
>Now my brother have had tried to send the amp to Slovenia using USPS site,
>to calculate the postage and freight charges overall, to Slovenia.
>It looks that he and USPS man, could not find the right service to send the
>amp to Slovenia. He also tried FEDEX and UPS sites,
>and horrendous freight figures comes out ( between 600-800 US$ per box).
>There are two boxes: Amp is 22x24x12, and transformer box is 16x14x14
>inches. Weight is Amp is 45 lbs and xfrmr is 44 lbs.

The simplest, safest and probably cheapest would be for you to go to the
States on a cheap APEX low season ticket and pick it up personally and bring
back as checked in luggage. This way you probably won't get charged import
duty or VAT. I brought an SB-220 back to the UK this way without any
problems pre 9-11. But please check maximum per piece weights for checked in
luggage with the airline you choose - the weights you've mentioned should be
OK but please check.

9-11 changed things and nowadays tube amplifiers seem to cause problems for
airport security - I'm aware of one DXpedition team having their amp
subjected to a controlled explosion and another Dxpeditioner returning to
the USA almost caused the airport terminal to be evacuated. There may well
have been other cases of which I am unaware. I assume that something shows
up on the X-rays which causes bell to ring - but I don't know what. You
could always try asking to be present while your luggage is screened so you
can answer any queries.

Alternatively do an internet search for air freight or freight
consolidators. But a word of warning, you will still have to pay for customs
clearance and possibly duty and VAT.

David G4FTC