Re: [Amps] IMD

Subject: Re: [Amps] IMD
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:35:40 -0700
"Any decent commercial amp will do more than its advertised at. Its called
overhead and allows for tube aging."

I wish to respectfully disagree with at least part of this statement.  Let
us assume an amplifier has what is considered good distortion levels at an
output of 1,000 watts, but can actually put out 1250 watts.  This extra 250
watts is not overhead and does not allow for tube aging.  If the emission of
the tube decreases, that extra 250 watts is not a cushion, because the
distortion level at the 1,000 watt level will increase as the tube ages,
because the tube is approaching the non-linear region.  As the tube emission
drops, the undistorted power output will decrease, and the point at which
the level becomes unacceptable will continue to be below the maximum power.

Some amplifiers that are advertised at 1,500 watts output will actually put
out a low distortion output greater than that.  That is overhead and would
allow for tube aging.  I have no problem with that.

Whether or not I am an expert has nothing to do with a philosophy of how an
amplifier is rated.

Colin  K7FM