Re: [Amps] MLA-2500

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] MLA-2500
From: n4zed@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:05:27 +0000
Thanks for the input Eddy, Joe, Kimberly, Pete and Jeremy. There "is" one band
that the load is "only" about 80% meshed, I think it's the 10 meter band
positions, I don't use that band much so I don't really remember which one it
is but, I do know it's one of the higher freq. bands might be 15 meter. I agree
Eddy, I have never had an amp that required full mesh on "most of " the bands.
This seems to be common with this amp, as I stated earlier others have had the
same problem.

I guess I'll need to beg, borrow or steal a dummy load that will handle the
power, I am feeding the amp into a HC-2000 tuner (inductive load) and then into
a 400'  non-resonant loop with ladder line, the tuner has a balun in it. The
tuner will tune to a 1:1 SWR on 80 - 10, I don't have a transmitter that will
transmit on 160. I'm using RG-213 everywhere except the ladder line, no coax
switches are in line at this time. I also have a Studdard(sp), similar to a
Bird, watt meter to verify that the tuner is not lying to me about reflected
power.

Could the fact that I'm using a tuner and not a resonant antenna for each band
cause this?

Hi Ken,

NO amplifier that I've encountered has EVER operated with the loading
capacitor fully-meshed on ALL bands...

Something is definitely amiss, that goes beyond just design, IMHO.

Maximum capacitance at this spot indicates minimum loading. I concur with
what someone else said about first firing the amp into a TRUE non-inductive
52-ohm dummy load, to see what might happen...and try on ALL bands, too.

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ