Re: [Amps] Silver

To: "Scott McGrath" <mcgrath@fas.harvard.edu>, "Larry" <larry@w7iuv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Silver
From: "Mike Schatzberg" <cherokeehillfarm@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:40:18 -0500
Hello Amp Fans:

The tarnish which you wish to clean is actually silver sulfide, not silver
oxide.  Silver is a wonderful getter for sulfur ions.  Silver has the
wonderful property of only oxidizing at temperatures above 200 degrees
centigrade, and I doubt that your equipment has seen such temperatures.

The sulfidated surface can be easily reduced by a dilute solution of water
and HCL, might be about 5% by volume, more or less.  It then can be rinsed
off following brightening.  The solution should totally restore the original
luster of the silver plating.

73 and Happy DXing,

Mike
W2AJI