Re: [Amps] Silver

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Silver
From: "LA7SL Nils P. Pedersen" <la7sl@online.no>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:08:31 +0100
Another and safer way to clean silver:

Heat up an appropriately sized container of water and dissolve a large
amount of table salt into the water. Use enough salt such that it takes at
least a minute to dissolve in the hot water with constant stirring. Washing
Soda (such as Arm and Hammer) works as well.
Shape a liner for the container from aluminum foil and place the foil in the
container of hot water.
Place silver that has been previously cleaned with soap into the bath
(inside of the foil) for several minutes. Tarnish should dissolve away.
For stubborn spots, remove and clean with soap and a damp rag before
reimmersing in the bath.
 This is a simple reaction between the aluminum metal and the silver sulfide
(tarnish). The table salt acts as an electrolyte to allow the reaction to
happen.
Peter LA7SL