[Amps] First, CHECK the WIRING !!! -- was: SB-220 troubles

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] First, CHECK the WIRING !!! -- was: SB-220 troubles
From: Radio WC6W <wc6w_amps@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 09:25:16 -0800 (PST)
It is always wise to "check the wiring" on any device of unknown history.

I offer the following example:

  Late in the last millennium, I sold an electric clothes dryer (240V), through
a classified ad (remember those? pre-Craigslist?) to a person of minimal
intelligence.  He returned the unit saying that it wouldn't dry.

  I plugged it in to the outlet where it had previously functioned and while
the motor turned, it indeed wouldn't dry. I refunded his money and sent him on
his way.

  Then, I noticed a slight tingling whilst touching the cabinet.  I opened the
unit and observed that the line cord was incorrectly connected with frame
ground and one phase of the line interchanged.  I corrected this fault and the
unit again functioned.

  I can only surmise that this "buyer" had swapped to a different cord to match
some plug at his locale and then reinstalled the original cord when he returned
the unit and ...  connected both of them incorrectly, or the dryer would have
worked at his locale, and I wouldn't be sharing this tingling experience.

73 & Good morning,
  Marv  WC6W

http://wc6w.50webs.com/

*