Re: [Amps] me not an idiot

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] me not an idiot
From: mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:06:46 -0500
On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 07:46:42AM -0600, Doug Renwick wrote:
> Dave,
>
> That is a very, very poor example and illustrates your flawed thinking.
> You drive a car that is capable of going over the speed limit because
> you drive over the speed limit or where there is no speed limit.  You
> also need that extra speed in order to safely pass another vehicle.
> Both these reasons show why you use an amp that is capable of an output
> greater than what your licence states ... because you normally run it
> over the limit and you crank it up even more when you really want to be
> heard.

I have a 24' pontoon boat up in Canada, with a 50 HP 4-stroke motor on it.
It will drive the boat at a stately 12 mph full throttle, so that the 15
mile trip between the island and the marina takes about 75 minutes in good
weather and light wind -- at full throttle.

But at full throttle, my boat/motor mechanic tells me, the engine will wear
out about twice as fast as at 75% power and about 100 minutes travel time.

I drive the boat at 75% power except where the speed limit requires a lower
power setting, or where safety requires a lower power setting, or for
emergencies where I run it as hard as I can safely.

At the moment, I don't have an amp that would exceed the FCC-mandated 1500
W PEP output. If I did, I'd let _it_ loaf, too, no matter what you say I
would do. I try hard to stay within the law.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea@mikea.ath.cx