Re: [Amps] me not an idiot

To: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>, "Herzog" <herzog@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] me not an idiot
From: "Zeitler, Lane LT, FST-1" <zeitlel@cpr3.navy.mil>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:40:31 -0800
I agree. I had a friend on another ship back in the early 90's that
modified a Drake L4B to run a pair of 8877s. It was really more of a
complete rebuild because he did it right, new tank circuit, new tuned
input circuit, bigger t/r relay, re-did the PS, you name it he did it.
He was a EE that was bored with his job in Columbus so he joined the
Navy as a WSC-3 tech. Anyways, he ran high power RTTY back then so that
was his rationale for doing the L4B re-do. I had some film color
pictures of the final product. When we return to port next week I will
dig them up and see if I can scan them in. The thing was a monster and
ran COOL at legal limit RTTY. Okay, maybe not totally cool but pretty
darn close. I guess in theory this was close to a 5kw amp. I do not
remember what it would do key down into a dummy load but he used a
monster Dahl xmfr that was rated at something like 2800 vac at 2amps ccs
and it weighed close to 90 pounds, just the xmfr itself would give you a
hernia.

Lane
Ku7i