Re: [Amps] CB amp directly coupled via cap to antenna

To: dezrat1242@yahoo.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] CB amp directly coupled via cap to antenna
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 21:58:06 EDT
Q=X/R in a series circuit or R/X in a parallel circuit. Since at resonance
there is 0 ohms X in the series circuit or infinite X in the parallel
circuit,  The Q would be 0 as in zero.

No flywheel action here.

In a real world case, say 15,000 vdc and 5A plate current, the plate load
impedance would be about 1700 ohms. There would probably be 100 pf from
plate to  cathode which is about -58 ohms at 27 MHz. So, looking into the tube,
there is a  parallel circuit of 1700 ohms resistive and about 58 ohms
capacitive. The Q is  1700/58 = 29.

The series equal is 2 -j58. The antenna would need to look like 2 +j58 for
a match. That is not a very friendly number so more help is needed.

I will leave the rest of the design work to others.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 4/8/2010 5:50:05 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
dezrat1242@yahoo.com writes:

ORIGINAL  MESSAGE:

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 17:09:08 -0400, Ron  Youvan
<ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>   By  adjusting the antenna length to be resonate at the exciter's
frequency the  antenna
>is that "tank circuit," it's just lossy by the radiation  resistance.  A
variable coupling
>capacitor is not  necessary.

REPLY:

Upon further consideration, if the antenna  impedance matched the
tube's plate load impedance, wouldn't the Q be just  one? I think you
still need the simple LC tank circuit for the flywheel  effect.

73, Bill  W6WRT