Re: [Amps] 30M noise problem (OT?)

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 30M noise problem (OT?)
From: mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:19:19 -0500
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 12:06:00PM -0700, jerome schatten wrote:
> Here's the admittedly weak connection between my Amplifier and my 30M
> receiving noise problem: The noise coming NOT from my trusty old 813's,
> but somewhere else, is so bad it makes no sense to use the Amp as I
> can't hear weak returning signals through the noise.
>
> I know it's a stretch, but there is such a rich collection of talent on
> this list across so many fields, that I couldn't resist tapping into it.
>
> If you care to have a look, there are three spectrum scope photos of my
> 30M noise along with some verbiage that describes the situation.
>
> http://www.ehpes.com/noise/noise.html  will get you to the photos.
>
> Thanks for any ideas about what the culprit might be!

First guess is switching power supply, though touch-controlled lamps,
aquarium heaters, lamp dimmers, and fan motor controls also come
prominently to mind.

Can you shut down the house entirely at the outside entry breaker, to
see if the noise comes in from outside?

If it persists with the house shut down, it's someone else generating
it. If not, then it's time to bring up the house one breaker at a time.
When turning on a breaker restores the noise, it will be time to find
everything getting power from that breaker and check it out, one device
at a time.

And if it does persist with the noise shut down, it wil be time to see
if the source of the noise can be localized at 70 cm or 2m with a good
directional antenna.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea@mikea.ath.cx