Re: [Amps] Shorted turns experiment

To: "'Larry Benko'" <xxw0qe@comcast.net>, "'Carl'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shorted turns experiment
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 18:56:15 -0500
I have an old TMC (technical materials company) amplifier that uses a pair
of 3-500s that has an auto (preset) tune tank circuit. The tank coil has a
tapped toroid core in it. I replaced part of that coil with a copper tube
air wound coil and the output power increased by 200-300 watts. Off hand I
don't remember exactly.  The efficiency of the amps was quite low. I posted
about it on hear around a year or so ago and had discussions about the
tapped core with W8JI as well. He also suggested that it is a bad idea to
short turns on a toroid.

73
Gary  K4FMX