Re: [Amps] Automotive Relays

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Automotive Relays
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 06:07:21 -0400
I did a survey about 15 years ago on CQ-Contest (then the only reflector
available).  IIRC, there were essentially no complaints about the
Ameritron RCS-8 or the TopTen remote relay box.  I used two TopTens for
maybe 10 years, often operating into >3:1 SWRs at >1200 watts (for
example, running an 80m array cut for CW up in the DX phone window) and
never had any relay problems.  Currently using an RCS-10, which can have
up to 7 relays in the RF path.  Will be interesting to see how it holds up.

Right now my Array Solutions Stackmatch has a bad relay (dirty?).
Symptom is occasional high SWR and a lack of received signal on the
lower antenna in my tribander stack.  If I send a little high power RF
through it things are then fine.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,