Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 93, Issue 16

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 93, Issue 16
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 15:40:22 -1000
> I disagree. The braid itself can present a safety hazard under some
> conditions, especially if the braid loses it's connection at one end
> and someone tries to hot plug the other end.
Trying to hot plug or hot unplug a high voltage wire is hazardous whether it is
shielded or not.

Would not having the return wire (ground, B- or whatever you want to call it)
part the same cable increase the chances that some mechanical mishap would
result in the two sides shorting together, blowing a fuse and discharging the
filter capacitors? Whereas a single B+ lead by itself could be severed or
unplugged and remain hot, creating a long lasting hazardous situation?

DE N6KB