Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 93, Issue 16

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 93, Issue 16
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 02:02:14 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:11:01 -0500, "Jeff" <jwill@chartermi.net>
wrote:

>removing a hot conductor from a power
>supply just because you want to and without any personal safety concerns is
>in my opinion a real gamble. When working on high voltage I'm never in such
>a hurry that I cant wait for the bleeder resistors to do thier job and make
>the B+ connection after the supply discharges.

REPLY:

I agree, but I know that I am not the only person who might be around
the equipment some time in the future.

My design philosophy is to make things safe enough so that if some
untrained person does something careless, they can not be harmed.

I realize this goal can never be achieved 100%, but I try to think
ahead to what someone might do someday and design accordingly.  That
someone could be anyone from a curious child to an EMT or fireman
responding to an emergency, or maybe just the next owner of the
equipment. Could be anyone, really. Not just me.

Bill, W6WRT