Re: [Amps] LDMOS Solid State Amplifiers

To: Bob Henderson <bob@5b4agn.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] LDMOS Solid State Amplifiers
From: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 10:42:25 -0600
Bob,

I am using the Freescale 300 W part.  The part number is MRFE6VP6300H.
I will probably not build this into an amplifier.  I have two home brew
solid state amplifiers, one at a kilowatt and one at 600 watts.  You can
see details at http://www.tomthompson.com   Both of those amps are
promoted by Communications Concepts and are Helge Granberg designs.  The
transistors were so expensive that I did not feel comfortable really
playing around with them.  When the LDMOS transistors came out, the
ruggedness and price were right for experimentation.  I built a test jig
on a copper spreader and aluminum heat sink with a good fan.  The traces
on the PC board are made with copper tape, so I can change the circuit
easily.  I have thermistors mounted on the transistor flange, the copper
spreader and the heat sink so I can see what the thermal resistance is
between each interface.  The bias is easily adjusted so I can easily
bias the transistors between Class B and Class A.  My Vdd supply is also
adjustable so I can change the output impedance of the amp and look at
various efficiencies.  You get the idea...it is just a learning platform.

73,   Tom   W0IVJ