[Amps] Regulations

To: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Regulations
From: peter chadwick <g8on@fsmail.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 18:07:13 +0200
Manfred,

Chile would seem in practice to be not that much different to most other
countries! Enforcement in the UK is very light, and not only on radio approval
but EMC approval. They do deal with interference cases, but there aren't really
enough staff for that job. There have been two prosecutions since the EMC
regulations came in 1996, and there's a lot of EMC non-compliant stuff out
there. About the only country which seems to take enforcement seriously is
Germany, followed by the Netherlands.

A study the other year by the European Commission found that 70% of radio
equipment supplied in the EU was non-compliant, of which about 5% failed on
technical grounds and the rest because of paperwork problems - and even then,
various authorities argued if the paperwork was right or wrong! Incidentally, I
have been told that one reason for stopping manufacture of the TL922 was that
it would have been to expensive to modify it to meet various EU requirements.

One thing I do think that as amateurs we should do is to try to ensure that
home brew equipment meets the relevant ITU standards on spurious emissions,
although I grant that for QRO at 10GHz on CW, that's impossible. For HF,
harmonics and spurs (unwanted sidebands from a switching supply perhaps?)
should be 43dB + 10 log P dB down from PEP, without needing to be more than
50dB down. Note that the FCC translation of SM329 into Part 97 managed to omit
the 10 log P, so it's 43dB in the US. While amateurs are seen to be complying
(i.e. not causing trouble), we are more likely to be left alone. Having said,
that amateurs hadn't caused problems but ITU TG1/3 revised SM329 in 1993 - 5
and brought amateurs in for the first time, anyway.

My rig uses a VFO, is very good on phase noise, rx and tx IMD and is 30 years
old.....so I don't feel I'll change that!

73

Peter G3RZP