Re: [Amps] UHF Connectors & Crimpers: WHICH/WHAT SOURCE

To: "Charles Harpole" <k4vud@hotmail.com>, "Hardy Landskov" <n7rt@cox.net>, "Pete Raymond" <n4kwpete@centurylink.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] UHF Connectors & Crimpers: WHICH/WHAT SOURCE
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 21:31:02 -0500
Soldering to nickel plated connectors is easy if you pre tin it by using some plumbers soldering acid (its actually diluted hydrochloric acid) and then dipping in a cup of baking soda and warm water....the same stuff used on battery terminals.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Harpole" <k4vud@hotmail.com> To: "Hardy Landskov" <n7rt@cox.net>; "Pete Raymond" <n4kwpete@centurylink.net>; <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:19 PM

I use a 300 watt soldering gun, silver solder with real flux, and actually solder the shield as well as the center pin. No crimpers, no dies, no worry about sizes. If the coax will jam into the plug, I use that plug.

PS... do not drive yourselves nutz trying to get solder to stick to some shiny plated plugs. Only cope is to scratch the coating off and solder to the metal underneath but a real silver coated barrel is much better.

Charles Harpole
k4vud@hotmail.com