Re: [Amps] UHF Connectors & Crimpers: WHICH/WHAT SOURCE

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] UHF Connectors & Crimpers: WHICH/WHAT SOURCE
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 21:29:41 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 02:19:47 +0000, Charles wrote:

>I use a 300 watt soldering gun, silver solder with real flux, and actually
>solder the shield as well as the center pin.
>No crimpers, no dies, no worry about sizes.

REPLY:

Something one might want to keep in mind about solder:  Solder works best
where there is no chance of movement or vibration, such as in the radio
sitting on your desk. Solder fatigues and fractures easily. If you are a
boater you probably know that in a marine environment where there is
constant vibration and motion, soldered wire connections are absolutely
forbidden. Long experience has proven crimped connections are best.

73, Bill W6WRT