Re: [Amps] UHF Connectors & Crimpers: WHICH/WHAT SOURCE

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] UHF Connectors & Crimpers: WHICH/WHAT SOURCE
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 14:53:14 -0500
On 11/13/2013 12:54 PM, WK1W Ivan Shapiro wrote:
Been reading this reflector about UHFs.

Could I please get some recommendations for SOURCE of CRIMPER and its brand.

Also UHF crimp-PL259s.

I purchase connectors through thr RFC, and Davis. I order over the phone and tell them what I want. I've used the Times Wire connectors on the LMR-600 with no problems.

My crimpers "I think" are the RF industries, but I have three different makes, two of which take inserts that will crimp RG-8 through LMR400 sizes including the center pin. I still tend to solder the pin. The one for LMR-600, is single purpose.

I have 5 different strippers including the one for LMR-600 which twists on. All of the others for UHF and N Type just clip over the cable and strip the jacket, cut the shield, and cut the dielectric. I usually cut about a quarter to half inch farther back than necessary. I'd rather prune excess center conductor than start over...just in case.

The strippers are fast. Clip on the coax, make 3 or 4 revolutions, remove tool, remove jacket, braid and dielectric. You can do it almost as fast as reading this paragraph , with practice.

Note the blade spacing is different for UHF or N type. So I have strippers set up for both.

HOWEVER: they can be a real PITA to adjust and a little adjustment goes a long way. OTOH the learning curve is neither steep nor long (YMMV greatly). IF you nave a lot to do, or for backup, purchase an extra set of blades

The only coax that has given me problems with strippers and "that was with all the strippers" is the LMR-UF cables. The jacket is rubber like and not attached to the braid. It tends to bunch up in the cutters, be they the twist on or clip on. Possibly a film of silicone on the jacket would help. I've not tried it.

Good ones are not cheap, but if you use them much, they sure are worth it. I do wish someone made the crimping bands available. Maybe they do, but I've not found any.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Will read reflector, but if someone wants to email it's below.

Thanks

73

Ivan

WK1W