Re: [Amps] PARALLEL CAPS IN OUTPUT

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] PARALLEL CAPS IN OUTPUT
From: MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 12:37:12 -0700
I have always thought that for lengths much less than a wavelength,
the impedance looking into a transmission line is dominated by the
impedance of the load connected to the end of the line. The
characteristic impedance of the transmission line is pretty much
irrelevant until its length approaches a fraction of a wavelength.
Thus, for short straps at HF frequencies, the impedance of the strap,
length of coax, or whatever, doesn't really matter. I believe this is
consistent with Carl's opinion.

I have heard audiophiles worry that the "impedance mismatch" of their
50 ohm phono cables with the 1Kohm input impedance of their preamps
introduces distortion. As they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous
thing.
73,
Jim W8ZR
Sent from my iPhone