Re: [Amps] ceramic vs glass

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] ceramic vs glass
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 22:21:57 -0500
It has been my experience, hence anecdotal, that if properly cooled and treated, there is little difference in the useful life of Ceramic Vs glass tubes, but when we get into older tubes, like the PL172/8295A. which are the same tube, but the 172 had glass to metal seals while the 8295A has ceramic to metal seals.When in use, I believe there is little difference in life but when setting on the shelf the glass to metal seal PL172s have strong tendency to go gassy, while the ceramic 8295As do not, which is probably why the 8395A sells for a premium.

I ran a pair of 813s (Tetrodes) at the old 1 KW (which is pushing them) average input convection cooled for a few years and they were still going strong when replaced with a Hallicrafters HT32B. That PL172/8295A (Pentode) has a coarse and heavy fin structure that let you easily run a KW using only an open fan for cooling with no shroud.

It's not the Ceramic Vs glass that requires the protective circuits, it is the internal structure of grid and screens with very little dissipation that require the protective circuits. When 8877s were $300 you didn't see much in the way of protection. Now the Eimac versions are over a kilobuck, over drive protection has become popular, so too has the awareness of IM products.

It's the lack of awareness that has given Tetrodes a bad name. The 4CX1500B and Chinese FU728F have very good IM products and are quite linear when operated correctly and not over driven. (Tuned and loaded as a Tetrode and not as a triode)

73

Roger (K8RI)

---