Re: [Amps] HV transformer and Variac

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV transformer and Variac
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 13:38:20 +0000
  The last time I used a pole pig was almost 50 years ago. However, It had a
tap switch on the primary (HV side) which was connected to taps between two
windings. Both windings appeared to have about the same number of turns. Now,
back then it was common to use a center tapped transformer with choke input
filter and mercury vapor rectifiers. I never tried to use it as a center tapped
transformer suspecting that both windings were not exactly the same since one
was of a larger diameter than the other. But thinking back, it would seem
practical to remove the switch and use a single winding with a full wave
rectifier. I don't know how pole pigs are made these days and if they have the
split HV windings and tap switches.
73
Bill wa4lav