Re: [Amps] The cost of amplifiers, radios

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>, Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] The cost of amplifiers, radios
From: Catherine James <catherine.james@att.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 18:50:11 -0800
Yes, but usually the "way that is found" is to get on the air with cheaper
gear. Hence the proliferation of Ameritron equipment, used SB-200s, etc.  I've
never heard of a ham getting a second job to move up from an AL-80B to a Henry.
(Remember that this thread started with discussion of $9,000 amps and $13,000
radios.)

I enjoy building kits, and I'd like to do more homebrew. But I'm an electronics
builder, not a sheet-metal worker. I can solder, drill holes, do screws and
bolts, and troubleshoot, but not bend sheet metal, machine heat sinks, cut
carefully shaped holes for meters, and stuff like that. And I'm not
particularly interested in learning those skills. My time is limited and I have
to choose where to spend it.

So my homebrew is more likely to be QRP transceivers bread-boarded on the desk,
not an HF amplifier. Instead, I'll repair used amps, which lets me focus on the
interesting part.

Scrounging has never worked well for me. Once in a while I get lucky, but I
don't typically find the key items like power transformers, heavy duty cases,
or high-power tubes. Even in the QRP area, a surprising amount of the cost is
in the metal case.

73,
Cathy