Re: [Amps] The cost of amplifiers, radios

To: "'Catherine James'" <catherine.james@att.net>, "'Bill Turner'" <dezrat@outlook.com>, "'Amps group'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] The cost of amplifiers, radios
From: "David Gow" <d.gow@frontier.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 21:38:14 -0800
You can get a very nice Henry floor console amp with two working  3-500z
tubes for about $1000.  A new pair of 3-500zg tubes is $400 with a three
year warrantee.  If a Henry has the export/commercial power supply Henry
specked it at 2000 watts PEP output like my 3K-A because of the 4000 volt
anode voltage.  If you lose a transformer or choke they are able to be
rewound from several sources and all the other likely repair parts,
including the Zener diodes (using NTE equivalents), are all currently
available from multiple parts houses and construction is such that they are
easy to repair.  I have had SB-220, Kenwood, Drake, and Collins (both 30S-1
and several 30-L1) and several Henrys and the Henrys have been the most
efficient and trouble free of all. Ted Henry still answers his emails in
about one day to help us keep the fine old Henrys running.  Unless you just
must have auto tune  I just can't see spending multiples of thousands of
dollars on an amplifier that most hams will need to send to the manufacturer
for repair.  Anyone who is safe working with high voltage and can read a
schematic can repair a Henry.

Dave W7VM