Re: [Amps] SS amps watercooling - was PowerGenius XL

To: manfred@ludens.cl, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SS amps watercooling - was PowerGenius XL
From: "sm0aom@telia.com" <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 16:06:57 +0100 (CET)
First, I share your views that this question should be addressed from the
efficiency aspect.
Heat that is not generated does not need to be cooled away.
But, if this is not possible,my vote is for using deionised water with
corrosion inhibitors added,such as anti-freeze compounds.

As long as the water is allowed to stand for long periods in the cooling
system, it would be possible to use ordinary tap water, taking account for
scales formation which could easily block the cooling channels. Tap water would
have sufficient resistivity for all reasonable supply voltages for LDMOS
amplifiers.

My own professional experience from liquid-cooled amplifiers comes from the
ITT-Standard Radio SSA1000 and PA204 HF and UHF 1 kW+ CCS output solid-state
amplifiers. They had a very "tough" specification from their military (Air
Force) users, that they should stand operating and standby ambient temperatures
of between -40 and +60 C and be able to "cold-start" immediately from even the
coldest conditions. Also,there should be no risks for contamination of the
cooling system by very long stand-by or storage periods (years). This ruled out
water-based coolants, and the designers chose the 3M Fluorinert fluid which is
completely chemical inert,non-freezing and non-corrosive. The down-side of
being very expensive and its low viscosity made it easily escape from even
minute leaks.

SSA1000's and PA204 amplifiers were for these reasons quite low in demand, as
"filling up" with Fluorinert was beyond the allowable price range of most
amateurs and some professional users. They preferred Collins HF-80's and
similar air-cooled PA's.

However, chance made it that got one of the design engineers for the SSA1000 as
a colleague in 2002.
We came to discuss the cooling system. He told me that the very "soft"
Stockholm tap water had been used in all development work and during early
performance verifications except for the full ambient temperature range tests.
There were no ill effects noticed from the use of this "simple" coolant. Also,
the mess of cleaning up the lab floor after being flooded due to leaks became
considerably easier...

This coincided with a "gift" of two SSA1000 systems from a defunct diplomatic
HF network. The Fluorinert had since long escaped, so for getting them running,
anti-freeze and deionised water in a 20/80 mixture was used. This worked well,
and the amplifier ran considerably cooler using water than with Fluorinert. A
"soak test" at 1300 W carrier for several hours during a summer day netted a
coolant temperature rise of about 30 C with the cooling fan running all the
time.

I parted with these amplifiers after losing interest in HF QRO some years ago,
but as far as I know, their new owner still run them with water coolant.

73/
Karl-Arne
SM0AOM
----