Re: [Amps] 240 Volt Blowers needed

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 240 Volt Blowers needed
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 11:06:48 -0700
On Tue,3/21/2017 5:30 AM, Catherine James wrote:
When I had my 240V / 30A circuit installed for the SB-220, the electrician
asked whether I wanted a 3-prong or 4-prong outlet.  I chose 4-prong since that
seems to be the modern standard.

All the modern amps I know of need only 240V, so I had four 240V 20A 3-prong outlets installed in a standard quad box. They're all on the same 20A circuit, which works for my SO2R operation because only one amp is transmitting at a time. For the rare occasions when I've hosted a multi-two contest, I've run an extension from another circuit in my shop.

I don't know that the 4-prong outlet is a "modern" standard, although it may be what is being widely used for big appliances that are the primary user of 240V in NA.

73, Jim K9YC