Re: [Amps] 240 Volt Blowers needed

To: "Jeff DePolo" <jd0@broadsci.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 240 Volt Blowers needed
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.qozzy.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 20:38:35 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff DePolo" <jd0@broadsci.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2017 6:15 PM

I don't know of current Code that permits a circuit that lacks an
equipment ground conductor run with the current-carrying conductors.
That sort of thing was permitted in much older Codes, and old
work is,
for the most part, grandfathered.

As I said, it is applicable to existing installations where the branch
circuit doesn't have a separate EGC, but the appliance presents both 240V
line-to-line and 120V line-to-neutral loads.  It's not applicable to new
work. The general premise is that rather than letting the chassis "float",
and thus afford no path for fault current, NEC says to bond the neutral to
the frame.  See 250.140.

But it remains a really bad  thing. To
understand one reason why this is bad for ham radio (and
component audio
systems), see Slides 122-129 in this link, which are slides
for a talk I
did at Pacificon last fall and will do at Visalia next month. There's
also a safety issue.

You're preaching to the choir.

--- Jeff WN3A

Yep I remember a dryer I bought in the late 70's was wired that way, 240 to the heating element and the motor and the rest right to a ground lug. Since my current dryer, a 10 year old Kenmore, also uses a 3 wire cord/plug it may be the same and I'll look the next time I pull off the back panel to vacuum and collect loose change (-:

Im certainly not going to sleep over it as millions of dryers didnt kill people.

Carl