Re: [Amps] Price per Watt Conversation

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Price per Watt Conversation
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 19:43:35 -0400
Has the FCC changed the reason for tha Amateur Radio "Service"?
You gave a reason, but did not deny the dumbing down part..

73, Roger (K8RI)

On 4/26/2017 12:49 PM, Bill Turner wrote:

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 04:28:11 -0400, K8RI wrote:

Unfortunately, the exams are going the other way with very little
required in the was of technology ans theory. They have dumbed down the
exams to where, I think my Novice test had more theory than any of the
present exams.  Now the ARRL thinks we need an even easier, entrance
level class.
REPLY:
I have to disagree with the above. The pressing need for hams today is
not technology and theory but rather operating skill. Few hams today
are into designing and building equipment, but all hams are operators.
In particular, hams need to know how to not overdrive their rigs and
must be able to recognize when they are overdriven. Hams need some
technology of course such as understanding the implications of
excessive SWR and how to properly tune an amplifier. Likewise for
unintentional QRM and other un-gentlemanly practices.

I'm all in favor of learning more technology for those who want to but
keep in mind that your license is for OPERATING, not designing,
engineering, troubleshooting, etc, etc. It's an OPERATOR'S license.

73, Bill W6WRT

---