Re: [Amps] Ham Tests, was Price per Watt Conversation

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ham Tests, was Price per Watt Conversation
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 03:40:08 -0400
Relying on the phone during honest to god emergencies... You do realize, the phone service is one of, if not the first to fail. The old, hard wired phone system was far more reliable than cell phones. Not near as convenient, but more reliable with those huge banks of batteries.

Yes, I agree that relying on CW today, is not very reliable. Most understand an SOS, but, who and where, or the nature of the emergency? Not so much. Gone are the days when you could send out an emergency call on CW and expect an answer, even if you had to slow to 5 WPM.

One major CME/EMP and our amps, rigs, telephones, etc, will be gone. Our utilities will be out. That's when we might hope for a tube type, QRP CW rig. Our QRO amps, whether tube, or transistors will generally be too much for emergency power. That's where those exotic amps, running 10 to 50 watts "might" save the day, if they weren't already fried.

73, Roger (K8RI)