Re: [Amps] Price per Watt Conversation

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Price per Watt Conversation
From: Bob Darlington <rdarlington@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 14:35:51 -0600
On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com> wrote:

> ------------ ORIGINAL MESSAGE ------------(may be snipped)
>
> On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 19:43:35 -0400, K8RI wrote:
>
> >You gave a reason, but did not deny the dumbing down part..
>
> REPLY:
>
> Not denying it.
>
> When I took my Technician test in 1957 I was required to hand draw a
> simple tube oscillator. That is no longer required so you could say it
> has indeed been dumbed down in that and similar requirements.
>
> As I said before, IMO the test(s) should be focused on operating
> skill, not so much technical skill.

Agreed!   Proficiency testing on a representative sampling of modes should
be on the  test.  J-mode satellite work.  JT65 or similar dsp driven
digital mode, phone.   Can't get a computer to work with your rig?  No
license for you!  Either that or get rid of proficiency tests -which is
what they did and was something I absolutely agree with.   I have exactly
one A1A QSO under my belt (with W9ZN of all people) and it's likely to stay
that way.  Turns out some of us have our licenses for reasons other than an
interest in socializing on the air.  I like to build things and it turns
out I need a license to test some of those things outside of a dummy load.

-Bob N3XKB