Re: [Amps] peak voltage rating for load cap

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] peak voltage rating for load cap
From: Alan Ibbetson <alan@g3xaq.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 17:07:40 +0100
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
I have the same problem right now, only that I have it at least 18
times. I'm looking for capacitors suitable for a set of legal-limit low
pass filters. That requires capacitors of roughly 100 to 2000pF, each of
them able to withstand AT LEAST 500V and 10A. Preferably some more, to
have a better safety factor for high SWR situations. Can anybody point
me to good sources of such capacitors? Everything I have found is either
unsuitable, or unspecified and thus risky to use, or extremely expensive.

Hi Manfred. You've been quiet for a while. I've mentioned a UK supplier before, but for others here it is

http://www.charcroft.com/pdf/tab_silver_mica_capacitors/SBH-Dipped-Radial-datasheet.pdf

You can buy online here

http://www.charcroft.com/ebuy/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=24&cat=RADIAL+DIPPED+SILVER+MICAS

but at around $4.50 US each plus shipping and customs it is going to be expensive, although perhaps only 20-25% the cost of ATC ceramics. These parts are intended for transmitting use and are specified for both current and voltage but sadly not for ESR.

I've seen these capacitors fail with wildly excessive voltage but they seem to hold up OK to over-current abuse so long as there is some airflow over them.

73, Alan G3XAQ