Re: [Amps] peak voltage rating for load cap

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] peak voltage rating for load cap
From: Conrad PA5Y <g0ruz@g0ruz.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 18:36:34 +0200
Hello all, power required is a lot less. The VSWR is excellent as it is a mono band low VHF yagi. However sometimes things can go wrong and I want the capacitor to survive my late night sleepy blunders!

I have a cap of the correct value with 0.02 inch spacing. I just 'looks' too close spaced.

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

On 19/08/2017 14:26, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
On 8/19/2017 7:42 AM, Alek Petkovic wrote:
> I always thought, that for the loading capacitor, you just use the old
> "Power = V squared over R" formula.

That will give you average (RMS) voltage with SWR = 1:1.  For peak
voltage, multiply by 1.414 (peak voltage of a sine wave):  316 * 1.414
= 447 V.

Your 1200V capacitor will do the job with adequate headroom., when
your system is all tuned and matched.
Multiply the peak voltage by the SWR for worst case peak voltage if
the voltage node occurs on the capacitor - 316 * 1.414 * 3 = 1340V.
A 1200 volt rated capacitor will be marginal in a *system* allowing
for a maximum SWR of 3:1 at 2 KW - it will be barely adequate when
the system is designed for 1500 W (1166 V).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV