Re: [Amps] peak voltage rating for load cap

To: Peter Voelpel <dj7ww@t-online.de>
Subject: Re: [Amps] peak voltage rating for load cap
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:42:22 +0000
Hi Peter,

The Russians doorknob capacitors do well.

At least they look pretty robust. Do you happen to know the ratings? A quick look on the web showed very high voltage ratings, but I couldn't find any current ratings. Probably the current handling is high enough, but it would be good to know for sure.

Mounting them with straps to the circuit board, as VK4AKV did, I would expect the series inductance in those connections to degrade the ultimate harmonic attenuation of the filters. Soldering the coils directly to small straps bolted to the top sides of the caps should be better.

Anyway, do you know where to buy them at ham prices? The few online sources I could find sell them at prices that are quite similar to what ATC procelain capacitors cost, which are far easier to mount, and far better in terms of ESL. And those prices are simply too high, at $20 and more per capacitor, plus shipping, plus taxes. At those prices, the set of capacitors for the low pass filters would cost me about the full budget I have for my entire project!

My fallback solution is homemade copper-clad mica capacitors, which are inexpensive and effective, but not much smaller than those doorknobs, and take some time making for the correct capacitances.

Manfred