[CQ-Contest] Heil BM-10 headset problem

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Heil BM-10 headset problem
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Sat Mar 21 19:52:29 1998
I originally wrote about an intermittent problem with a old BM-10
and my Yaesu..Without this problem the headphones match the Yaesu
with none of the problems of the newer Heil headsets.  The 5 year old pair

Tom Hammond <n0ss@sockets.net> replied:

>Over the years of using my TS-930S (yes, It's STILL my only radio)
>I've found that sometimes the 1/4" stereo plug, een though it
>'appears' to fit most securely into the jck on the radio, doesn't
>make truly 'good' contact with the two non-grounded contacts (ring,
>and tip) of the jack.  If I twist the plug in the jack, sometimes
>I can force a 'flakey' contact which results in loss or reduction
>in the amount of audio in one or both sides of the headphones.
>And this problem is NOT specific to my Heil phones, I can cause the
>same problem to occur in my other headphones as well.

Tom hit the nail on the head...I can turn the stereo plug in the receiver
jack and cause the problem.  Seems the jack connections don't grab the
stereo plug very well.  I am using the plug that comes with the Heil wired
for Yaesu.  I have some of those "gold" stereo plugs that Electronic Switch
sold with those great Schurr keys and the barrel is slightly larger than the
Heil.  I have one on the other Heil BM-10.  If I can get by the headphone
mismatch hum I cannot create the same problem....

Now why did Heil change the BM-10 for Yaesu...it worked great with the older
headset????  I even hear a little hum on the ICOM (more than I do with the
Telex boom/mic PRO 250 set I used in the past).

Tom went on to give two possible cures......I have filed these away for
future, valuable reference:

>What I've done to pretty well eliminate the problem is to 'rebuild'
>the headphone jack so that those two contacts are re-bent a bit, so
>they press harder against the phone plug when it's in place.  Also,
>and I think this may be the best circumvention, I use a short
>headphone jumper cable which stay in the jack all the time, and I
>then plug my headphones (AND my external speaker) into the end of
>the jumper.  Thus, all plug inserting/removing takes place at a
>jack which can more easily be serviced.  So far, this seems to have
>helped the problem.  Not necessarily a true 'fix' but more of a
>curcumvention.

Thanks Tom and to the others who helped.

Dave K4JRB