[CQ-Contest] Busted calls

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Busted calls
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Thu May 6 17:23:44 1999
On Thu, 6 May 1999 10:05:15 EDT, you wrote:

>In a message dated 5/6/99 1:28:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>k8cc@ix.netcom.com writes:
>
><< I agree 100% with N6TR's position that penalties are required to deter
> "guessing" >>

>Agreed, but let's play devil's advocate for a moment. Since technology now
>allows greater log checking accuracy, will not it beget an expanded use of
>data bases to sterilize logs? I merged my last two years worth of logs (about
>9,000 QSO's) and sorted it alphabetically so my wife can answer QSL's for me
>(she's a saint). Viola! A quick scan shows a wealth of information like,
>names, checks and the occasional miscopied data. Since this is all data I
>copied (except for a guest op here and there), why would I not use this
>information to ensure my own copying accuracy in the future? Is it acceptable
>to put this data in a lookup table to use during a contest?

Interesting thought, if one could take such a table and memorize it
and the correct check data, making the mental comparisons in one's
head as the contest goes on...

Would that be OK, or just the same as using the computer to do it.

Would it be considered an unfair advantage to be able to memorize like
that, or should we require brain exams and require those with
photographic memories to run in a separate class...

(Sorry, Thursday is a bad day around here...)

73, y'all

73, Guy
--. .-..

Guy Olinger, K2AV