[CQ-Contest] Busted calls

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Busted calls
From: k8cc@ix.netcom.com (David A. Pruett)
Date: Fri May 7 00:19:58 1999
Tom, K5RC wrote:

"Since this is all data I copied (except for a guest op here and there),
why would I not use this information to ensure my own copying accuracy in
the future?"

First of all, I think most would agree that you'd have to do this DURING
the contest, not afterwards or else you're unethical.  If you're trying to
do this DURING the contest, don't you think it would be quicker to ask for
a fill rather than find one station's information out of 9000 QSOs?

Also, in my mind you've just confirmed the argument for penalty QSOs.  If
you were to use such a "database" (the use of which is really only a more
refined form of "guessing") and you get it wrong (ex: K8CC moves to MS)
then you deserve the penalties you get!

Let's ask ourselves: "What is a contest QSO?"  It is an exchange of
information between two amateur stations OVER THE AIR taking place during
the course of the contest.  If you guess at the data, THE INFORMATION WAS
NOT EXCHANGED.  If you edit and refine the data after the contest, THE
INFORMATION WAS NOT EXCHANGED.  How can you argue with that?

K8CC