[CQ-Contest] Time to Get Off the Pot

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Time to Get Off the Pot
From: hwardsil1@mindspring.com (hwardsil1@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 14:49:47 2002
I think it depends on the focus of the article.  If, for example, it's a how-to
that is specific to contest operation (say, a SO2R switchbox), then it's
probably too narrow for QST.  But that type of article could easily be
broadened for general consumption - think, "High-Performance Audio Switching in
the Ham Shack" and you have a much better chance of getting it in QST.

Send me the article and maybe I'll have a good idea or two.

73, Ward N0AX

"Kenneth E. Harker" <kharker@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 05:03:31PM -0000, Silver Ward wrote:
>
> 2) Don't like the QST content?  Then generate some!  If you have a problem
> with making a lawn chair into a 6-meter loop, then I must assume that you
> have some actual ideas for replacing it.  You don't have to be Victor Hugo -
> the league has good editors to polish up the article.  Here's some topics -
> talk amongst yourselves; "The Gamma Match - Construction and
> Implementation", "Amplifer Care and Maintenance",  "Long-Path for the Little
> Pistol", "Making 1000 QSOs - In One Weekend".  Start typing.  The email
> address for your submissions is qst@arrl.org and the writer's guide is
> available at www.arrl.org/qst/aguide.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the QST editorial board really wants in
the way of contesting feature articles?  I've published multiple articles in
the NCJ and CQ Contest that I first sent in to QST.  They were all rejected
because they featured contesting and contesting was of "limited interest."

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences      VP, Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops