[CQ-Contest] Time to Get Off the Pot

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Time to Get Off the Pot
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Tue Jan 22 15:27:23 2002
On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 02:55:16PM -0500, Jim Idelson wrote:

> My February 2001 article "A Journey to Sweepstakes" was REQUESTED after I
> sent
> in a photo of two young hams operating SS. The subtitle was "How do we
> attract
> more young people to Amateur Radio? Coud contesting provide the answer?" I
> suspect the link to a more generally provocative topic was an important
> editorial consideration.

And yet, less than two years ago, an article I wrote about the (long)
history of contesting at the University of Texas (OK, so we're already licensed
college students and not bright, rosy-cheeked 8-year-olds who may or may not
ever get a license, but damn aren't they just so cute!) was outright rejected
as being "of limited interest" (but later published in CQ Contest.)

As a former president of a University radio club, I can tell you that
President Haynie's agenda of getting "young people" into ham radio stops at
the age of cuteness.  Any issue related to college student hams gets the
big yawn.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences      VP, Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops