[CQ-Contest] eQSL change of policy

Subject: [CQ-Contest] eQSL change of policy
From: jskatz@sk.sympatico.ca (Sylvan Katz)
Date: Sat Apr 6 19:08:38 2002
> present system or any future system. But the machine can stop an
> individual from fraudulently taking advantage of some else's error. Is
> it worth it the inconvience?

A machine can also obscure a small but pertinent piece of information (e.g.
log entry is local time not UTC) that would allow a human to quickly
identify and verify a questionable qso in a collection of logs. While a
machine can present a barrier to fraud it can also present a barrier to
knowledge. Furthermore, erecting machine barriers of any kind can turn a
system design into an endless exercise of dealing with exceptions -- these
systems can collapse under their own complexity. Wisdom suggests that just
because it can be done by machine does not mean it should be done.

> Anyone got a different solution?

Accept the simple realization that an ARRL award or any other award for that
matter is simply that an award. We do not need to build a Fort Knox to
protect these awards. And yes cheaters will some times get certificates - so
what! Why not build a system that follows an age old amateur radio community
tradition of striving to enable the exchange of knowledge and not hinder it.

A twist. All entries logs submitted to an ARRL contest and verified by the
contest checking software should automatically be accredited to any ARRL
award for which it is considered to be a valid contact. No eQSL or QSL
required! Could be one way of getting more participation in contests as well
as more check logs!

.. sylvan

????
Sylvan Katz, VE5ZX
Saskatoon, SK
"A Novel Perspective of Amateur Radio Contesting" at
http://www.dynamicforesight.com/~ve5zx