[CQ-Contest] Deliberate QRM - an observation from Svalbard

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Deliberate QRM - an observation from Svalbard
From: otterstad@enter.vg (Ragnar Otterstad)
Date: Fri Mar 7 09:20:21 2003
Ken WM5R wrote:

>I cannot recall ever doing a serious high power phone contesteffort from W5
when I _didn't_ have at least one incidence of someone trying to jam me.  It
happens every contest.
---------------------------------
After my last phone contest many years ago, my family told me it sounded like
having a parrot in the house.  So I worked only CW contests ever after. This
year was different as my visit to JW-land coincided with ARRL phone contest
and I decided to participate for a few hours with the goal to provide a
multiplier for people. Condx in the Artic were not great and most of the
stations worked were the usual big guns.

Working 40 m phone is never a pleasure in Region 1. Working into Region 3  is
not easy, as you compete with strong broadcasters.
What was very annoying, was the number of stations deliberately listening in
the CW band- one even as low as 7017 !  What a way to create negative feelings
towards the contest community  !

By ignoring the bandplan several stations managed to escape a JW multiplier on
40.

The worst offenders were :

N4PN    listening on     7025
N9RV                            7017
W3LPL                   7023
K4JA                            7022   Moved later to 91 so I worked him.
W2FU                            7031
KC1XX                   7036        "          66           "
NK7U                            7027               "         41          "
KC1F                            7028
W1OP                            7027
W2RE                            7021
K8CC                            7033
K5TPC                   7025
N6IG                            7038

Perhaps there is no mentioning of  bandplan compliance in the rules?  If so,
it is about time to correct that.
Please talk to your ARRL director !

73

Rag Otterstad    LA5HE also JW5HE OZ8RO
located in Telemark - home of skiing.

My antenna "farm" can be found on HTTP://no.photos.yahoo.com/la5he when you
click on  Radio.

Take a look at: http://WWW.visitTelemark.com

or  http://www.visitnorway.com